CBT Training

CBT is a training system which ensures that all motorcycle and moped riders have the ability to ride to a minimum standard of safety and competence before taking to the road unaccompanied.

CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) was introduced in 1990. In 1991 it was made compulsory for all new riders of motorcycles, and new moped riders who didn't have a car driving licence. In 2001 it was also made compulsory for car licence holders to complete CBT for mopeds. CBT was introduced with the aim to reduce accidents involving new and inexperienced riders of motorcycles and mopeds.

Bike and equipment hire included in the course price
DVSA Approved experienced motorcycle instructors
CBT conducted almost every day of the year

What to expect on the day

The structure of a CBT course is as follows:

Element A: Introduction to the course, eyesight check and discussion on clothing
Element B
Introduction to the bike controls, safety checks, and manual handling
Element C: 
Off-road riding. Learn to ride the moped or motorcycle and make manoeuvres.
Element D: 
Discussion on road safety and general advice on safe riding.
Element E: 
Minimum 2-hours of road riding including U-Turn and Emergency Stop practice.

Personalised training

ADT understands that every pupil has different needs, so we always tailor your CBT to you. We know that somebody with little experience of riding motorcycles will require patient, step-by-step instruction to reach their goal. More experienced riders will need minimal coaching to demonstrate their ability. We make every effort to ensure that you are matched up with pupils of similar ability and experience.

Book now on 02380 337 351 or tap the link below

Frequently Asked Questions:

What do I need to bring with me?

Please bring your UK driving licence with you to the CBT centre. You must wear jeans and boots that cover the ankle. We can provide a motorbike helmet, jacket and some bike gloves, although if you have your own kit we recommend using yours.

Do I need any previous riding experience?

CBT training is designed for complete novices, so no previous motorcycle or moped experience is necessary, however it's important that you are able to ride a bicycle (push-bike) before attending a CBT course in Southampton, Gosport or Basingstoke. In order to control a bike with an engine, it is important to first learn to balance without.

How long does CBT take to complete?

The length of a CBT training course can vary considerably depending on your level of experience, but it is usually completed within the first day. You can expect to be with us for 7+ hours. If you need any additional time after the first day we will extend your training up to ten hours without any extra charge. Around 95% of our pupils complete CBT on the first day, and 99% complete it inside of ten hours.

Can I use my own bike?

Absolutely. We encourage current riders to use their own motorcycle or moped for their CBT. New riders are welcome to bring their own motorbike, but it can be difficult to insure your own bike for training, all of our moped and motorcycles are insured for your use.

Do I need to do a theory test before my CBT?

No, there is currently no theory test requirement for CBT. A good knowledge of the Highway Code is expected when you attend, as you can expect to spend at least 2 hours on the road during your training. Find the highway code here

How long does my CBT certificate last?

CBT certificates for mopeds and motorcycles are currently valid for 2 years, if you decide not to gain your full motorcycle licence within those two years, you may do another CBT at any time to gain a further two years entitlement.

Do I need to do my CBT on a manual bike?

No, you don't need to take your CBT on a geared bike. Around 50% of our CBT courses are conducted on automatic bikes (scooters). Once you pass on an automatic bike you are still entitled to ride a geared bike if you choose, but we would recommend further training for this.

I'm 16, what can i ride with a CBT?

If you are 16 or over you will be able to ride a category AM vehicle (a moped). That is a 2/3 wheeled vehicle with a maximum design speed of 28mph (this covers some quads providing they weigh less than 350kg). You cannot use the motorway on a moped. If you don't have a full car license then you must have L-plates on the front and back and you may not take passengers or pull a trailer.

I'm 17, what can I ride with a CBT?

If you are are 17 or over you can ride a motorcycle up to 125cc providing it is no more than 14.6hp. Unless you go on to complete your full motorcycle license then you must have L-plates front and back, you may not use the motorway, take passengers, or pull a trailer.